Can it be March 6th already? Seriously, I'm anxious to see this damn movie already. Don't look at me like that...I have perfectly good reasons...
12. I enjoyed The Dark Knight profusely in IMAX. Now imagine an IMAX movie that spans time and space and ISN’T a documentary.
11. Warner Brothers has been good to me with TDK and Speed Racer, so I figured if I help make this a hit then maybe they’ll release Trick ‘R Treat. (IMAX release would be bitchin’, btw.)
10. Zach Snyder has delivered the goods twice before…if this movie is as good as it’s supposed to be, I’ll owe the man a debt of allegiance.
9. Have you read the book? The story and visuals are amazing, and the moral themes are something superhero movies don’t normally encapsulate.
8. I first read the Watchmen after hearing about the movie being made, knowing the book’s reputation. Never had a graphic novel hit me in the gut before like Watchmen did with the ending. I introduced my brothers to the Watchmen, and now the three of us are introducing our father to Watchmen, via the movie.
7. I’m a geek, through and through. Wanting to see this movie is essential to me keeping my geek cred, my fledgling comic/GN cred, and my talkback membership on Ain’t It Cool News.
6. Dave Gibbons has gone to bat for this movie, and when something like that happens you have to respect it.
5. I’m a junkie for alternate history, I’m a fiend for GOOD comic books/graphic novels. Properly mix the two together, and you’ve just created the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup of literary awesome.
4. NIXON’S BAAAAACCK!
3. The look on the faces of those who expect another softball superhero movie will be PRICELESS! (Especially with the Vietnamese bar scene.)
2. Jackie Earle Haley and Jeffrey Dean Morgan look like they’ve knocked Rorschach and The Comedian out of the park. (Bonus points to Billy Crudup, simply because I like the guy. I don’t know what it is about him, but I enjoy his presence on screen.)
1. Honestly, what the hell else is out there to get this excited about in the theaters?
For the record, all I’m expecting out of this movie is a relatively decent translation of the film’s story to the screen. If it’s a good enough movie, its degree of loyalty to the source won’t matter. I don’t care if there’s a squid or not, and I will be waiting for the Ultimate Edition with Tales of the Black Freighter cut back into the film. I just want to be entertained, while at the same time seeing the story being respected. That said, I will be buying my tickets soon, and awaiting the countdown to Midnight.
(Spoiler Bonus: If you want to see some of the pages Dave Gibbons drew for the new ending…here you go! Oh, and SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SQUID SPOILER!)
Why I’m voting for Obama
5 years ago