About Me

My photo
Mike Reyes, aka Mr. Controversy, has considered himself a writer ever since he was a child. He wrote for various school publications from about 1995 until 2006, and currently runs both The Bookish Kind and Mr. Controversy, which is an offshoot of the regular column he wrote in High School. He's also authored several short stories such as "The Devil's Comedian", "The Devil v. George W. Bush", and most recently "Wait Until Tomorrow". He resides in New Jersey. Any inquiries for reprinting, writing services, or general contact, should be forwarded to: michaelreyes72@hotmail.com

The Mr. Controversy Fan Club

Photobucket

Our mascot, "The Owl of Distain"


Become a Facebook Fan
Follow my Tweets

Thursday, February 26, 2009

12 Reasons I’m Anxious to see Watchmen

Can it be March 6th already? Seriously, I'm anxious to see this damn movie already. Don't look at me like that...I have perfectly good reasons...

12. I enjoyed The Dark Knight profusely in IMAX. Now imagine an IMAX movie that spans time and space and ISN’T a documentary.

11. Warner Brothers has been good to me with TDK and Speed Racer, so I figured if I help make this a hit then maybe they’ll release Trick ‘R Treat. (IMAX release would be bitchin’, btw.)

10. Zach Snyder has delivered the goods twice before…if this movie is as good as it’s supposed to be, I’ll owe the man a debt of allegiance.

9. Have you read the book? The story and visuals are amazing, and the moral themes are something superhero movies don’t normally encapsulate.

8. I first read the Watchmen after hearing about the movie being made, knowing the book’s reputation. Never had a graphic novel hit me in the gut before like Watchmen did with the ending. I introduced my brothers to the Watchmen, and now the three of us are introducing our father to Watchmen, via the movie.

7. I’m a geek, through and through. Wanting to see this movie is essential to me keeping my geek cred, my fledgling comic/GN cred, and my talkback membership on Ain’t It Cool News.

6. Dave Gibbons has gone to bat for this movie, and when something like that happens you have to respect it.

5. I’m a junkie for alternate history, I’m a fiend for GOOD comic books/graphic novels. Properly mix the two together, and you’ve just created the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup of literary awesome.

4. NIXON’S BAAAAACCK!

3. The look on the faces of those who expect another softball superhero movie will be PRICELESS! (Especially with the Vietnamese bar scene.)

2. Jackie Earle Haley and Jeffrey Dean Morgan look like they’ve knocked Rorschach and The Comedian out of the park. (Bonus points to Billy Crudup, simply because I like the guy. I don’t know what it is about him, but I enjoy his presence on screen.)

1. Honestly, what the hell else is out there to get this excited about in the theaters?

For the record, all I’m expecting out of this movie is a relatively decent translation of the film’s story to the screen. If it’s a good enough movie, its degree of loyalty to the source won’t matter. I don’t care if there’s a squid or not, and I will be waiting for the Ultimate Edition with Tales of the Black Freighter cut back into the film. I just want to be entertained, while at the same time seeing the story being respected. That said, I will be buying my tickets soon, and awaiting the countdown to Midnight.

(Spoiler Bonus: If you want to see some of the pages Dave Gibbons drew for the new ending…here you go! Oh, and SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SQUID SPOILER!)


3 comments:

Sarah The Anime Librarian said...

Oh I can;t wait myself. I am a huge fan of the book, and I think all the naysaying about this one is really silly. I think its the new in-geek thing to do: talk about how much Watchman will suck.

I think its shaping up to be a really tight comic book movie thats not really much like a comic book movie.

Saw Coraline, and now can look forward to this. Its good for the soul!

I'll be looking forward to your comments on it!

Mr. Controversy said...

I agree with you 100%! I just bought my tickets for an IMAX showing this morning, and I can't wait to go see it.

I really want to see Coraline, but I'm only going to see it if it's in 3D. I have yet to see a 3D movie and I keep missing them when they come around. (Well, except for the Jonas fags...I'm skipping that for obvious reasons.)

Sarah The Anime Librarian said...

Great thing about Coraline in 3D- they spared the gimmicky stuff they normally do in 3D (Okay they had one "Thing comes jabbing at you out of the screen" shot.) The 3D was used very subtly to enhance the film, not the “wooooo! Its 3D!” stuff they usually can’t resist doing. It worked brilliantly!