About Me

My photo
Mike Reyes, aka Mr. Controversy, has considered himself a writer ever since he was a child. He wrote for various school publications from about 1995 until 2006, and currently runs both The Bookish Kind and Mr. Controversy, which is an offshoot of the regular column he wrote in High School. He's also authored several short stories such as "The Devil's Comedian", "The Devil v. George W. Bush", and most recently "Wait Until Tomorrow". He resides in New Jersey. Any inquiries for reprinting, writing services, or general contact, should be forwarded to: michaelreyes72@hotmail.com

The Mr. Controversy Fan Club

Photobucket

Our mascot, "The Owl of Distain"


Become a Facebook Fan
Follow my Tweets

Monday, February 2, 2009

Give and Take or "Hachette Man"

So there's good news and not so good news. Note how I didn't say it was bad news, there's no downside here.

Not So Good: The JoBlo decision came down, and I was not chosen. Sure I'm kinda disappointed, who wouldn't be. However, it was still fun as Hell to be in the running, and even just being considered by the man himself means I must be doing something right. Berge, thanks again for the fun ride, and you can count on me to continue reading!

Which brings me to the ...

Good
: Through my own ingenuity (read: individually following the examples set by others) I've lucked into a book reviewing deal with Hachette Book Group. I've received my first three review copies, and all three seem to have been targeted towards works I've read and reviewed.

Both the good and the not so good are awesome examples of how taking that risk and just jumping off that ledge can lead to something exciting and exhilarating. I feel extremely lucky for all of these opportunities I've had, whether they've come to fruition or not. It's just cool to be working towards becoming more well known, and while I'm still in baby step phases, it looks like a hell of a toddle. The Hachette titles will be reviewed inbetween the Twilight Saga (which is also published under the Hachette banner. Here's how I'm hoping to play it...:

Book 7: Twilight
Book 8: Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me by Ben Karlin and Various Contributors
Book 9: New Moon
Book 10: The Man From Pakistan: The True Story of the World's Most Dangerous Nuclear Smuggler by Douglas Frantz and Catherine Collins
Book 11: Eclipse
Book 12: Endgame 1945 by David Stafford
Book 13: Breaking Dawn

I'd like to thank my contact in Hachette Book Group, as well as Dustin Rowles and Brian Prisco for inspiring me to pursue such an offer. One final, but no less important, shower of love goes to the Followers. Old and new, future and present, I welcome you all as if you were my family. Make yourselves at home, and don't forget to wipe your shoes before jumping on the couch.

2 comments:

Seresecros said...

Well, that's a bit eclectic. Aren't New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn all sequels to Twilight? Can't say I envy you much!

Mr. Controversy said...

Yes they are. I figured I'll read the whole series and get it over with. Though you'll be pleased to hear a review of Twilight is forthcoming.