About Me

My photo
Mike Reyes, aka Mr. Controversy, has considered himself a writer ever since he was a child. He wrote for various school publications from about 1995 until 2006, and currently runs both The Bookish Kind and Mr. Controversy, which is an offshoot of the regular column he wrote in High School. He's also authored several short stories such as "The Devil's Comedian", "The Devil v. George W. Bush", and most recently "Wait Until Tomorrow". He resides in New Jersey. Any inquiries for reprinting, writing services, or general contact, should be forwarded to: michaelreyes72@hotmail.com

The Mr. Controversy Fan Club

Photobucket

Our mascot, "The Owl of Distain"


Become a Facebook Fan
Follow my Tweets

Monday, March 16, 2009

The Cannonball Read: Entry 10a - "This Is Water" by David Foster Wallace


Here’s another unofficial entry in the Cannonball Readings. I’m still hard at work making my way through Endgame 1945, but thought I’d throw in a review in the meantime. (That and I kinda like writing these things.) Again, thanks to Hachette Book Group for providing the literature.


As usual, suggestions, requests, or dedications, go on the Comments Board; here’s where you’re journey begins should you elect to join up, and thanks once more to Brian Prisco for allowing me, and all the others, to participate in this clusterfuck of literary wonderment. Oh, and all reviews are recorded and may be used to fill some front page space on Pajiba, so don’t be bashful.

I’ll be honest, I’ve never read any of David Foster Wallace’s works. I had never even heard of him until he had sadly committed suicide last year, and once I’d heard the praise for his work from others I realized he wasn’t printed for just any reason. His most talked about work (at least from what I’ve read) is Infinite Jest, an infamously hard to keep up with work of fiction that blurs the lines between fiction and non-fiction. (I’ve never heard of a book that’s ever had as many footnotes from fake sources as this one.) All of this talk, all of this hype, everything I’d heard or read motivated me to request a copy of This Is Water, which is basically a reprinting of a commencement speech he gave in 2005. At first it might seem like a cash-in title. (Honestly, how many graduation speeches can you think of that have been published?) That assumption wouldn’t only be wrong though, it would also be insulting. This is the final published work of a writer that could be considered one of the many voices of the current generation, and it is a speech that teaches a lesson people could stand to learn these days.

The book is only 144 pages long, and it’s a one sitting read that’s mostly broken into a couple lines a page. At first, this might seem weird to read, but once you settle into it the page breaks seem to flow like natural cadence for speaking. However, in those 144 pages of bite sized lines, Wallace basically makes a case for why you should be going to college in the first place. He sums up why we should throw ourselves willingly into a pile of debt that’s a couple hundred thousand dollars large, with no promise of getting a job in said field (or these days, any job at all), and to invite intense scrutiny of our skills and academic competition that tests them. Why? It teaches us to become the people the world needs more of…people that think, people that can feel empathy and understand that the world around them is as unstable as they think it is, and the only thing that stops it from crashing down around us is our capacities to reason and feel. College rounds us out, and prepares us for lives that while they may not be totally fulfilling, they certainly aren’t useless. In a short, finite space, Wallace shows us multiple cases where the world revolves around how we perceive it.

This Is Water is destined to become a graduation gift, but it’s also a book that should be passed onto anyone you know will enjoy it. I personally plan on giving it as a gift to a very good friend of mine who’s graduating college this year. What’s better is that I felt like I graduated too. This book took me back to my graduation in 2006, and made me wish it was this speech I had heard. This is a message that doesn’t pander, doesn’t water reality down, but at a crisp and concise length manages to tell the reader that the world doesn’t revolve around them…but they can still effect its condition, if they just pay a little more attention to everyone else around them. I’m going to have to seek out one of David Foster Wallace’s other books now, because if this is what he does with reality then I eagerly await seeing what he does with fiction.

Next Time (as previously promised): Endgame 1945 by David Stafford.

3 comments:

Optimus Rhyme said...

Imma have to check this out. I really love DFW, even if I'm probably going to die before I finish Infinite Jest.

The Caustic Critic said...

If you like Wallace, I heartily recommend A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again (I think that's the title--it's been a while). It's an essay collection and the title work is utterly hilarious.

Mr. Controversy said...

Optimus: That's the consensus I've heard on Infinite Jest, which is exactly why I want to read it. I'm a stove toucher.

Caustic Critic: I will take that recommendation and find that book at some point. Thanks. :)