About Me

My photo
Mike Reyes, aka Mr. Controversy, has considered himself a writer ever since he was a child. He wrote for various school publications from about 1995 until 2006, and currently runs both The Bookish Kind and Mr. Controversy, which is an offshoot of the regular column he wrote in High School. He's also authored several short stories such as "The Devil's Comedian", "The Devil v. George W. Bush", and most recently "Wait Until Tomorrow". He resides in New Jersey. Any inquiries for reprinting, writing services, or general contact, should be forwarded to: michaelreyes72@hotmail.com

The Mr. Controversy Fan Club

Photobucket

Our mascot, "The Owl of Distain"


Become a Facebook Fan
Follow my Tweets

Monday, June 14, 2010

The Monday GAAAH! (6/14/10)


After a week off due to some big changes going on in my life, I think it's time to get on with the show, wouldn't you say?  Back to the weekly GAAAH!

- Change #1: I'm moving out of my family's house and into a farm house with my friends and girlfriend.  It's an exciting, yet nerve taxing proposition, but in the end it should be a life changer for the better.

- Change #2: I have a sorta professional writing side gig in the works with Spiteful Critic, so when that materializes I'll be sure to link over the material I'll be producing for them.  (I already have a couple good articles to start my tenure off on the right foot.)

- Somehow the annoying looking Karate Kid remake made it to the top of the Box Office this week, with The A-Team making a nice second place debut.  Shrek Forever After holds steady at third, likely to be kicked to the lower 10 with the release of a Cowboy/Spaceman buddy picture this weekend.  Something sort of story...about toys if I'm not mistaken.  Here's this week's Futile Box Office Predictions:

1. Toy Story 3
(The only way they could bomb this film is if Mr. Pricklepants turned out to be a Nazi, Barbie and Ken have a graphic sex scene, and Martin Scorsese directs a 30 minute collage of headshots and carnage.  And you know what?  Pixar would merely be congratulated for making a "grown up extravaganza, filled with edge defying spectacle and hard assed wonderment".  It's Pixar...they always win.

2. The Karate Kid
(This is the one all of the families have probably seen last weekend, loved, and have chatted up in their church groups/picnic barbecues/office water coolers today.  It's the movie that spoke to them & made them feel good.  Mostly though, it's a successful cash grab, coldly calculated by Columbia to cash in that small token of 80's nostalgia you've kicked around since Peter Cetera sang about "The Glory of Love".  In other words...it's like an Oprah certified G.I. Joe reboot.)

3. Jonah Hex
(Admit it...you're morbidly curious to see how neutered the PG13 cut has been made, just so months down the road Warner Brothers can sell the "Extreme Unrated Director's Producer's Cut" with one second of tit, five swear words, and blood pouring from every kill in the film.  Which will probably never be released, because the film looks like it sucks western dick.)

Lovable Loser of the Week: Splice, for falling so far off the radar in a world of sequels, remakes, and cash-ins.  Save your breath for the DVD release, because that's where the cult following will begin.

Loathable Winner of the Week: Shrek Forever After, because it just won't die!

- The World Cup is on at the moment and I can't find a stream at the moment.  I'm not huge on sports, but you've gotta love how The WC is what the Olympics wishes it was.  Instead of the fanciful pageantry and sanctimonious faux global village shit, we get a true celebration of national and global pride.  The difference between the Olympics and the Cup: The Cup only needs one sport, and it does that sport beautifully.

- Still need to catch myself and the girlfriend up on Doctor Who, but I saw the trailer for part 1 of this season's finale and...yeah, I need to catch up NOW!

- Finally started watching season 2 of True Blood with my girlfriend.  (I know, I know...we're behind!)  Looks to be interesting, and seriously hoping we can finish it so we don't miss too much of Season 3.

- Diablo Cody was born today, as Roger Ebert is kind enough to remind us.  Remember to annoy everyone into thinking you're so hip, you deserve, nay DEMAND the highest recognition in your field of work!

- My mother has gotten me addicted to Craigslist.  When you're moving somewhere new, it's nice to try and get as much free stuff as you can to furnish it. =P

- IKEA...how wonderful is that store?

- Warner Brothers is making new Looney Tunes shorts with The Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote (super genius) that will be attached with 3D theatrical releases.  It's nice to see WB not giving up on a time tested brand, but I seriously hope this doesn't run the franchise into the ground.  (Much like an ACME product.)

There's been all of this 80's/90's nostalgia flowing lately, and frankly I've been trying to stop myself from succumbing to it.  But it's just too damn hard, what with that decade of pastels and the best Halloween costumes and toy commercials EVER resurging in remakes, reboots, and retrospectives.  So fine...you want 80's nostalgia?  You're gonna goddamn well get it!  In fact, here's three videos full of it! 

First, up is a favorite song of mine from the 80's.  As a kid, I always enjoyed hearing this one when it'd come up on my old GE boombox (with detachable speakers)!  Those were the days when I'd camp out at the radio and wait for my favorites to hit the waves, just begging to be collected on a mixtape I'd always be adding to.  Here's SoulSisters with "The Way To Your Heart".



Next is the trailer for the 1991 Science Fiction classic Terminator 2: Judgement Day.  I remember my parents getting the VHS for Total Recall from the rental store and seeing this trailer attached to the beginning of the film.  When you're 7-8 years old, this'll scare you shitless.  (Even if you did watch Tales from the Crypt.)



Last is perhaps one of the best 80's cartoon theme songs EVER.  Do not deny that Ducktales is anything short of win, for you'd only be lying to yourself.  And why would you want to do that?  Make it a good week, everyone!



To anyone who's stuck around through those three videos and wanted "MOAR NOSTALGIA!!!1!!"; I have a treat for you.  But keep it under your hats...someone's likely to find out about it and rip it all off the Nets.  (Though, I highly recommend buying a copy of said video's contents .  Really, it's not that much & it's well worth the money.)

2 comments:

The Caustic Critic said...

Oh, True Blood, how I love it, crave it, cannot escape it!

Why yes, I AM an addict.

Mike Reyes said...

I know. The wait made my girlfriend so antsy, I had to buy Season 2 for her as an early anniversary present. (For which I was rewarded with a copy of Super Mario Galaxy.)