Mike Reyes, aka Mr. Controversy, has considered himself a writer ever since he was a child. He wrote for various school publications from about 1995 until 2006, and currently runs both The Bookish Kind and Mr. Controversy, which is an offshoot of the regular column he wrote in High School. He's also a film journalist/critic for Cocktails & Movies and CinemaBlend, as well as the author of several short stories such as "The Devil v. George W. Bush". Any inquiries for reprinting, writing services, or general contact, should be forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org
OK, so the last reboot I attempted crashed faster than The Incredible Hulk's box office numbers. Let's try to put it past us and get a little more of a head start today with guest blogger Mark Ruffalo.
Just kidding kids, you've still got me to deal with. So strap in, and get ready to start the week with a GAAAH!
- R.I.P. Kevin McCarthy. For an 80's kid, you sure were a great heavy. I'll always remember your performance Innerspace, and I've yet to experience your Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but perhaps now's a good of a time as any. You will be dearly missed.
- Back to Mark Ruffalo for a second there, is it just me or did he have some pretty nice suits in Shutter Island? In other news if you haven't seen Shutter Island, you "best unfuck yourself" and see it. (No, that statement does not mean R. Lee Ermey is guest hosting the blog next week. Though could you imagine what a blog of his would read like? Pure Silver, that's what.)
- Resident Evil: Afterlife killed the Box Office last weekend, though it's hard to find any IMAX theaters playing it in my area. One's still playing the Avatar Special Edition (boo!) and one's still playing Inception (Big Frickin Yay!). Here's this weekend's Futile Box Office Predictions:
1. The Town (Affleck, Renner, Hamm, Lively, Postelthwaite...how much more reason do you need to see this film's potential? Spoiler Alert: Ben Affleck is going to continue his career as a hot shot director. He's showing some serious chops. Seriously, Ben...write a film with Matt again and direct it with him and your brother starring! It's GOLD!)
2. Easy A ("I could resist Emma Stone". No...no, you couldn't. Don't even try to pretend otherwise. If Superbad didn't get you, Zombieland did and you're just afraid to acknowledge it. It's ok. Let it wash over you like a shore of universal truth. We're all Emma Stone's bitches.)
3. Resident Evil: Afterlife (Yeah, still need to see it. The 3D sounds cool and I love me some zombie hunting.)
Lovable Loser of the Week: Catfish, because it's in such limited release that I can't see it this weekend!
Loathable Winner of the Week: Devil, because you know it's going to make money. Morbid curiosity/bad taste reign.
- Unfortunate MSN Headlines of the Week: "Longest California roll | 100 cats run wild in IKEA"
- BP claims the spill "probably won't top $20 billion" in damages, falling only $12 billion short of their $32 billion estimate for payment. Keep filling up at BP, kids! Make sure they can pay for the mess.
- Summer's finally done and over. Now we all must turn our watchful eyes to our savior ThePumpkin. It is delicious as it is wise, and we should welcome its return to all of our food products.
- Midterms are coming up, and as such I expect we'll start to see some races really heat up in the next couple weeks. Anyone care to handicap/predict which races will be the most contentious, who the "shoo-ins" will be, and most of all will Basil Marceaux.com win his bid for Governor of Tennessee?
- I was doing dishes last night, and came across a horrible sight. While washing a particularly icky dish, I actually let out a GAAAH, to which one of my best friends replied, "Shouldn't you be saving that for tomorrow morning?" It's nice to be recognized, especially by good friends. :D
- What is it with women and taking pictures of their feet when they have fancy shoes on? Either it's a fetish, women are in love with their shoes, or the ladies are trying to please Quentin Tarantino by amassing their best foot shots on one centralized Internet database.
- The Incredibles needs to go to Blu Ray. WAITING, DISNEY!!!
- Visit your Local Library. No, seriously, go over and check something out. They miss you, and they usually have a wide selection of neat stuff. Librarians, like The Doctor and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, are cool.
- The day they make a porn parody of House, M.D. is the day I start to wish Hugh Laurie would summon Stephen Fry to lull said spoofers into a comfortable sleep...so that they may beat the ever loving shit out of them. You just don't mess with some things, Porn People. (Also, why has it taken so long for Stephen Fry to be asked to guest on House? C'mon, this should be a naturally occurring thought and we should have had two recurring guest spots and a crossover in the Sixth Season premiere.)
- Anybody else ready to rake leaves in an Argyle sweater whilst drinking a Pumpkin Spice Latte? Just me. #HipsterFail
This week's opening act was randomly found during a Ska binge I went on recently. (Blame nostalgia.) Here are The Toasters (of Ka-BLAM! fame) with "Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down". Give 'em Hell out there this week, kids!