About Me

My photo
Mike Reyes, aka Mr. Controversy, has considered himself a writer ever since he was a child. He wrote for various school publications from about 1995 until 2006, and currently runs both The Bookish Kind and Mr. Controversy, which is an offshoot of the regular column he wrote in High School. He's also authored several short stories such as "The Devil's Comedian", "The Devil v. George W. Bush", and most recently "Wait Until Tomorrow". He resides in New Jersey. Any inquiries for reprinting, writing services, or general contact, should be forwarded to: michaelreyes72@hotmail.com

The Mr. Controversy Fan Club

Photobucket

Our mascot, "The Owl of Distain"


Become a Facebook Fan
Follow my Tweets

Monday, October 18, 2010

The Monday GAAAH! - 10/18/10

 

After a particularly interesting, if not completely trying, hiatus; it's time for to GAAAH for justice and decency in the world.

- Fox and Cablevision have been at odds recently about their financial renegotiations, which has lead to an outage of all Fox stations.  Supposedly, they're asking for a substantial increase which may or may not be used to fund some of their more politically minded endeavours.  Now, I won't comment on News Corp's political activities, standings, positions, or their politics in general...but what I will say is that if your News network is a political tool, then the political funding should be coming from there.  I don't care if it's all just a part of one big happy family, divest it from the Entertainment side of the aisle so people can watch their shows.  Just because you want to fundraise and Cablevision won't let you do it, doesn't mean I have to miss House.
- I want to create a comic character who's a Hispanic Mad Genius and call him Cerebral Cortez.  Just saying.

- Nick Swardson's Pretend Time has turned out to be funnier than I ever could have imagined.  Here's one of the sketches from the premiere episode that turned me around on the whole concept.  Seriously funny shit, kids.  I recommend tuning in.

- While we're on the subject of TV, if you're not watching Boardwalk Empire, then you should be fearing the wrath of Chalky White.  Shape up and watch because he ain't buildin' no bookcase.  (Seriously, I'm starting to think that my allegiance of badassery is being shifted to Chalky thanks to 24's departure.)

- Jackass 3D was the unsurprising victor at the Box Office this week.  To paraphrase Rob Lowe, so much for movies not made by idiots succeeding at the Box Office for long.  Still, it looks like nice, dumb fun...even if I'm choosing Red over it for my Free Movie Night choice.  Here's this week's Futile Box Office Predictions:

1. Paranormal Activity 2
(More fake scary shit for those who eat it up like fucking Corn Flakes.  How this got an IMAX release is the biggest question since their decision to release Eclipse.)

2. Jackass 3D
(More shit, less eaters.)

3. The Social Network
(Because you can't kill smart THAT easily.)

Lovable Loser of the Week: The Social Network, because it'd be nice for a thought provoking film to be a runaway success again.  (Inception was the previous instance, for those of you keeping score.)

Loathable Winner of the Week: Life or Something Like It, simply because Katherine Heigl is the anti-fun and it looks so contrived that even chick flick fans might have problems with it.

- The film may have been utter shit, but Across the Stars from Attack of the Clones has to be one of the best pieces of film music in the past decade.  I'd also go as far to say that if the Star Wars series were nothing more than Anthony Daniels' pitch perfect narration, John Williams pitch perfect score, and a highlight reel of the finest moments (basically, the format of the Star Wars in Concert show) I'd gladly watch the whole saga again and again.  (Instead of just staying with I, III, and the Classic Trilogy.)

- Ewan McGregor...come back to movies.  We miss you.

- The special Halloween Short Fiction project I've mentioned in the past has been delayed.  I have a rather ambitious idea, and it looks like it's going to require some planning, some pizazz, and a lot of outlining.  So instead, the week leading up to Halloween will be the complete five part series of the project I'm working onMaybe I'll throw a title out there at some point, but I'd like to think the readers would rather be surprised.

- MSN's Unfortunate Headline Grouping of the Week:  "N. Korea's 'big threat' | Cop killed over parking space"  (While killing a cop over a parking space is a pretty dick move, I don't think it's as big of a threat as say...enriched uranium.  Unless he was killed by some sort of Super Villain weapon.)

- Still not sure if I'll be attending the March to Restore Sanity and/or Keep Fear Alive, but I love how they're building this puppy up.  Seriously hoping to be there.

- If they ever reboot Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, do you think they could get NPH to be the new Wayne Szalinski?  Also, Felicia Day would totally be the perfect Diane.

- I should get into the merchandising racket.  I wonder what I could get away with branding as "Official Mr. Controversy Merchandise"?  Better yet, if some product endorsements could wind up on my doorstep, that'd be great. 

To open this week, I'm going to include the video to Across the Stars from "Episode II: Attack of the Clones".  Again, shit movie but beautiful music...which most fans believe is the unofficial log line for the Prequel Trilogy.  Have at it, kids.

2 comments:

punkramen said...

FYI -- Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro sequel to Gone Baby Gone, called Moonlight Mile is being released in hardback in November.

Mike Reyes said...

@ Punk Ramen - I KNOW! I'm tempted to read it, but I want to actually read the series in order. I'm a stickler on things like that. Whatever the case, Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone (the film), and Shutter Island made a believer out of me Re: Lehane.